Wednesday, July 17, 2013

HIPSTER in Nashville.

       Nashville is hipster town.  Literally, everywhere I go I see people with mustaches, beards, fitted jeans, tattoos, and white teeth (yes, that's my definition of hipster in a nutshell haha).  Hipsters dress well to look like they are worn and tattered, but tend to be pretty hygienic.  I rather fancy the trend, and mind you there is a stark contrast between a hipster and a hippie.  I won't go into details there, but it's aesthetic appeal without the stench (for the most part).  HOWEVER, people here, and probably most everywhere, avoid or dislike the word "hipster" almost as much as the word "obese".  I'm one of them, since I'm often labeled as a hipster, and I usually always deny it because really if I could have my way I'd wear things more closely resembling a jedi knight or a pillow; square shaped and soft.  But alas, I frequently wear high waisted shorts with a shirt partially tucked in, mostly out of convenience in holding my tummy in, giving me a "mom-butt", but that's considered "hipster".  I have straight across bangs too, and that's also considered "hipster".  So either I start wearing shorts that give me a muffin top and grow out my bangs or ....actually I'd probably still be labeled a "hipster" because I'd look so unkempt that it would be cool in an ironic way.  There's just no escaping hipsterdom if you live in Nashville, well I suppose if you go to Vanderbilt you're exempt. ;p

       It isn't necessarily a bad thing to be a hipster, but it's the whole labeling thing that gets to people.  Being a hipster usually means you're your own person, an individual set apart from the masses of corporate contaminates, not to mention stylish in a vintage quirky way, yet the identity has grown into a culture of it's own that there's no escaping it's jaws of clumping.  You are an individual in a sea of individuals who happen to dress like you, talk like you, act like you, and go to the same places as you. (smirk)  So we all know how to have a good time, so what?  Go ahead, call me a hipster, I'll still cringe at the word, as all hipsters should in heed of our individualism, but it won't do any good to defend myself.  It's too all-encompassing to refute.  Talking about it just runs in circles, and I don't have time for that kind of futile expenditure.

Jme Grey.

P.S:  hipster boys are more fun to look at than corporate shirt and ties, so let them be!
     

No comments:

Post a Comment