Wednesday, July 17, 2013

old post (lack of internet) ...a freak out moment and some fun.


It’s one of those moments where you start to freak out a little bit on the inside.  It starts with a thought, a simple thought, like hanging out with friends.  I love having great talks with friends over a cup of coffee or a plate of nutritious food; this thought makes me smile, relationships are pivotal.  Then that simple thought starts to bubble, like when dough rises in the oven, but this time you’ve added way too much of the stuff that makes it rise…(yeast?  Baking soda?), and it turns into a beast of thing that’s out of your control over flowing your brain’s pan size, oozing over the edges and forming weird tumor like extensions (although those are always the tasty parts of such catastrophes, but that does nothing for the point of this metaphor so ignore that).  “Hanging out with friends” sprouts these unsightly extensions of how it will cost money, and money requires a certain amount of income, and that income comes from a job you find more or less meaningful or enjoyable (because life must have meaning!), that job may require more schooling which means more income for tuition, more coffee to study and stay awake, and that income must also support rent, utilities, gas, food, and movie nights, and a gym membership (Because I have this hope that I’ll start working out regularly…someday).

       I begin to automatically try to calm myself down by saying that if worse comes to worst I always have my parents to fall back on to ask for help, because someone with my size of pride could never beg for money at the freeway entrances…not to mention I hate being tan and that would be a lot of sun exposure.  But then that becomes another little gremlin when I think about how old I am to come crawling back to my folks for money, or worse just the thought of asking them for help because I want them to be proud of me and not see the ugly side of me and my struggles; in essence I want to be viewed as successful and shiny in their eyes, their perfect little daughter visiting them with nice gifts and big hugs, and anything less would be pathetic.    All in a matter of seconds I’ve got a beast and a gremlin on my coat tails, they don’t really exist, but I’m panicking because I’m trying to be a step ahead of everything in my life, and I find that I don’t have everything I need in case these creatures do end up chasing me one day …I’m freaking out over things that are actually quite fine in their present states (ie: income, relationships, jobs, hanging out, and family) but I’m creating my own monsters and then telling them to begin chewing the sane parts of my brain.  Why?  Why do I create my own monsters, and then tell them to attack me?  Of course I don’t intentionally do so, but when I begin to worry about things that aren’t even worrisome that’s what I’m doing.  Do I sound like a freaky perfectionist?  Yes.  I apologize, but I’m relieved that I can catch myself right before the fog reaches a cliff.  I walk just a few steps to the edge, but I haven’t fallen.  There have been moments where I had stopped right at the edge, and I remember those moments as well.  They are stark reminders of who I am now, and who I was a week, a month, a year, a decade ago.  I’m standing there, looking down at what I almost did, how I almost ran myself off the edge and into misery….and of my own doing!

       As I stand there, still sweating from the frantic running in the fog, I look at my feet…they’re not touching the ground.  I don’t see the ground, in my mad rush and halt I hadn’t realized that I had collapsed onto the ground, and I see my knees.  My knees?  But I don’t feel the ground.  I’m aware of my body now, and it’s resting, I’m shaking, but they turn into small trembles that eventually smooth out.  I’m being carried.  Then I look up to see the most beautiful face looking right at me and sort of doing this jolly Santa-like chuckle, then turns kindly serious with a smile and says: “well that was quite the run you had”.  He sets me back down on my feet, but my legs feel wobbly, so I clutch onto Him for balance.  And here it, here it begins…I feel it, I want to stop it, but I know there’s no point, as I clutch onto Jesus I am overtaken by a rush of uncontrollable sobs.  The kind that heaves your entire body almost up and off the floor, and I feel relieved and ridiculous all at once, grateful and unworthy, overwhelmed and at peace.  Then he says something to calm me down, He tells me how while I was running he thought we were just taking a jog, and how He was excited to jump the cliff with me because below the cliff was water to be walked on!  Then when I collapsed He picked me up, silly me, weak and fragile me, untrusting me.  Now I see why He was chuckling when I came to in his arms.  I must have looked like a crazy!  He tells me that He knows that about me, He knows everything about me because He’s always with me even in the fog, and especially at the cliff’s edge.  He is always there waiting for me to take the leap instead of collapsing, so that He can show me how amazing it is to walk on water, to run on water!

       I know I can run on water, I know that I can do anything, and that nothing will ever be an issue to get worried about with Jesus since He’s, you know, God, haha, but I’m still wary of it all.  Perhaps I could find some wisdom and reasoning from the truth for being illogically wary, but I’m tired from the running.  Right now all I want is to stay with Jesus, taking breathes of fresh air, being in this moment of immense gratefulness to be apart of His family.  Jesus loves me, this I know….and the rest will have to be more running.

JmeGrey


6.5 days later…

I’m moved in.  Everything went well, I was a mess for no reason.  I worry myself too much. 

       Today is Sunday.

The past week has held some illuminating nights.   One noteworthy evening would be Friday when I got to see Vinyl Thief play again, but this time instead of at an underground basement (for the East Nashville Underground) I saw them at good ol soulshine pizza parlor.  Don’t let the name fool you.  The joint is gigantic with a two story interior and platform style balcony/patio it boasts a stage with room for about an audience of two to three hundred (and that’s just the balcony).   Also comes with a full bar on both levels.

       Vinyl Thief was a blast.  The lead singer Greyson strongly exudes a fresh scent of boyish fun and manly confidence that can’t be denied him.  His voice is strong and melodic and carries well with any ear.  They sound similar to the Cold War Kids, but with a bit more “oomph” and a non stop urge to get up and start dancing!  They have a couple more shows coming up, but you can find out for yourself on vinylthief.com.  Or you know, there’s always google, youtube, facebook, twitter, instagram, etc.  I’m sure one day we’ll have an outlet for something close to actually seeing a band without having to move..oh wait, that’s called television.  #wallE

Me with Vinyl Thief


It’s not that I think television is bad, it’s that I think it’s boring. 

Something that isn’t boring?  Rock Island!  There are tons of nature spots on the outskirts of Nashville that need me to explore them.  Among such treasures are Rock Island (think waterfalls, hiking up mountains to get to waterfalls, and lakes with caves), Cummin Falls (think gigantic waterworld), Minister’s Treehouse (the trend is to think big here, and this one doesn’t exaggerate because it’s a huge treehouse, but moreso a treehotel), and pretty much anything in Chattanooga. Haha.

I’ll bring the details as they come…

Jme Grey

No comments:

Post a Comment