Saturday, June 11, 2016

Israel 2016 (summer with Talbot) day 12

So I've been in Israel for about 12 days now, but it feels more like 3!  Our schedule has been non-stop on the go and up a mountain, in the desert and back down in time for dinner and either fellowship with my peers or a lecture.

It's been a fast pace trip, hitting up almost 5 different cities a day in Israel.  (They're closer together, but the climbs are still long and the sun is still hot haha)

Israel was not what I had expected it to be.  I thought I was literally going to be embarrassing myself (but I don't really care) by crying non-stop at every site where Jesus had once stood, but instead it felt less alive for me.  The places felt more like ghost towns and abandoned buildings (because most of them are, the Tels are literally just remaining ruins of ancient history haha).  

What I found most enjoyable were the people.  

It's strange, but I remember the first few meetings when all of us were back at school and gathered together to talk about what was going to be happening I thought that the group felt slightly uncomfortable for me.  No one looked very friendly, and I was okay that it might just be me and Jesus on this trip haha.  But I was so wrong!  I mean it's me and Jesus but Jesus has been showing up on this trip through His broken vessels!  The friends I've made and the people I have come to care so much for and love are what have really made this trip for me.  

Don't get me wrong I love the learning experience and the geography and history (to a degree), but I love the people.  These souls have personalities and histories of their own, a beating heart that speaks and a mind that thinks in such wondrous ways of the glory of God.  These people are precious.  I wish I could love each of them the way God has loved me--to know their stories and laugh and cry and be still with them, but I can only get close to a handful of people because intimacy takes time and I only have so much on this earth.

This makes me realize how much of my time am I investing in the things I love?  I want to be friends with everyone! Haha but I end up getting close to some and not to others because that's just the way it works.  I wonder if in heaven it will be awesome because we will have an eternity to love every single soul.  Who knows, only God knows...hehe.

So I have 5 days left in Israel.  

It's bittersweet because I love the way things were different here (sleep schedule, day schedule, food schedule, friend/fellowship schedule, etc) but it's sweet because I know God is going to use this to take me even deeper into His story.  

Shalom.

Jmegrey

No comments:

Post a Comment