Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Don't do today on your own

The Way, Truth, and Life

Jesus said....and if Jesus speaks a word it's not a lie.  Because God cannot lie. 

“I came from the Father =life 
and have come into the world. =truth 
Again, I am leaving the world and 
going to the Father.” = way

I have told you these things 
so that in Me you may have peace.  
You will have suffering in this world. 
Be courageous!
I have conquered the world.” 
John 16:28, 33

“This is eternal life: 
that they may know You, 
the only true God, 
and the One You have sent — Jesus Christ.”
John 17:3

Jesus prays for you:

“I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to You. Holy Father, protect them by Your name that You have given Me, so that they may be one as We are one.

I am not praying that You take them out of the world but that You protect them from the evil one. They are not of the world, as I am not of the world. Sanctify them by the truth; Your word is truth. As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world.

I pray not only for these, but also for those who believe in Me through their message. May they all be one, as You, Father, are in Me and I am in You. May they also be one in Us, so the world may believe You sent Me.

I made Your name known to them and will make it known, so the love You have loved Me with may be in them and I may be in them.”
John 17:11, 15-18, 20-21, 26

----

I'm all over the place, thinking this and that about now and the future, about my past, and about all of the problems in my life that I'm trying to detain from causing more trouble for me: my bad habits, my stubbornness, my unmet desires, my addictions, my selfishness, etc!  I'm thinking about the good things and the bad things.  I'm thinking about what if I do this or what if I do that and about should I do this or should I do that?  My thoughts are a million per half hour, and by the time I realize how many I have I am crushed by the weight of my inability to care for myself.  I have too many issues and too much of a chasm to be where I want to be from who I am now.  And as I fold all of those thoughts up into a bag and mush them all together, squeeze them all into a trash bag, I throw them into the chasm.  None of those being fixed or detained are going to get me to the other side, only Jesus.  So while I have many issues and many weaknesses, the more problems I have the more I will be awed and amazed when Jesus carries me to the other side.  We are all getting there by grace not by our strength, but by our weaknesses.  

I want so many things to change about me, my bad habits, my addictions, my attitude, my laziness, my self-critical disposition, my greed, my selfishness, my sinfulness!  

Who will save me from myself?

Only Jesus.  He prays for me, He saves me, and He walks with me by His Spirit each moment of every day.  There may be a million concerns before my eyes, but there is not a single one for which Jesus will not be with us, seeing us through to the other side.  Moving past the forgiveness of sins, let us move on to maturity that the things we are going through  as Christians are not about being saved or redeemed, but about being transformed into a person who has the character and likeness of Christ.  We are learning to feel what He feels, see what He sees, hear what He hears, and love the way He loves.  Today you may be lead by Christ to see what He sees and it might look terrible, but He might be showing you so that you feel what He feels, which is the pain and heartbreak, and with that He may then be preparing you to reach for what He reached for: the broken and the lost.  Or perhaps Christ is speaking to you about something else, maybe He wants you to untangle yourself from fear and to cleave yourself to grace, because in doing so you free yourself from shame and guilt and avail yourself to confidently do what is needed to be done in love rather than in fear.

Each day we have our troubles, and each day The Holy Spirit is leading us into the truth, on the way, and toward life.  

Jesus is the way, the truth and the life.  We are, in everyday, walking with Jesus.  Doing life together not to be saved since He finished that on the cross, but to be transformed.  What is God changing in your heart?  An attitude or a perspective or disposition or opinion.  Open your heart to the Spirit's truth today. 

Know what is going on and then know what God might be doing today to transform that part of you into the likeness of His Son.  We are all children of God and He is making us into a people who will walk in that truth.  

We don't ask "what would a child of God do in this situation" and then do that, but we ask "Lord, what is going on in my own heart right now about this situation?"  And from there open our hearts to the truth of who we are and then to the truth of who Christ is and what He has given us.

Know who you are, and know where you are going.  You were lost but now you are going home to the Father.  That is the truth!  So why are you worried about this and that?  What lie has infiltrated your truth? 

It's not a formula or an appearance that you need to follow, it's a relationship with the Father, through Jesus, by the Holy Spirit. 

"When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come." -John 16:13

Isaiah 30:21
"And your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, “This is the way, walk in it,” when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left."

Each moment He is with us.  Open your heart to live with God by your side everyday.  Don't do today on your own.  

Jmegrey 

No comments:

Post a Comment