Wednesday, February 18, 2015

The Dragon King

The Dragon King
       --a short story for Sarah--

       Once upon a time there ruled a dragon King.  So mighty was he that the people trembled at the sight of his enormous wings.  So vastly different were they from he.  He had deep brown eyes with a straight silver line down the middle of them, a beautiful armor of almond red as hard as marble stone, a long strong neck that he turned to look down at the people below when he flew over their homes.  His body was heavy with armor yet not a chink was exposed.  He was feared by the people wherever he would go, just looking at Him was enough to stop what one was doing and watch as the dragon King flew by in some majestic juxtapose.  

An outbreak had come over the town and everyone was in a panic.  The dragon King had landed and was after a young girl.  A brave girl was she who was much smaller than he.  She had a small shield made of metal and gold and a sharp wooden spear was in the strongest of her hold.  She was ready to bear the brunt of whatever the dragon King would throw.  But they did a violent dance as she got in several good stabs.  Sweat dripping from her face made her hair matted and tangled, but the look on her face was fierce.  The dragon circled the girl and she knew the battle was coming to a close.  The townsmen screamed not having a clue how to help, for the dragon was much too strong for even them to lay hold.  They had rallied together and were throwing giant stones that would bruise the dragon king's body, but would not stop him going straight for a bite in the girl.  They watched in horror as the young girl fought with fire and getting good stabs in the dragon king's neck as He got close.  The dragon King was bloody from head to toe but finally held the fighting girl down with a slight shift of His body on hers. The pressure was too great and the girl burst into frightful tears, screaming and calling to the people to free her from the dragon king's hold. 

As the people tried they had been blocked by the line of fire from the dragon King's blow.  There was nothing to be done but watch as the dragon King went for the plunge, he bit straight into her heart in a delicate way.  The strangest sense of quiet rose as the dragon King unhooked his mouth from her chest revealing two small holes not wide enough for death.  The girl opened her eyes as the dragon King lifted off her body, and to everyone's surprise collapsed in a writhing motion right by her side.  

The dragon King had died?  The people were in wonder.  How could such a beast of magnificent splendor be writhing with pain on the ground when it had the power to sweep away the entire town?  As the people were staring they suddenly heard a small sound.  
"I can't believe it." The young girl was looking down.  
"I can't believe it."  Once more from the girl.
The people were confused, and they waited for her to explain.
"I was lying in bed last night like all of us do, when suddenly a darkness was at my window and had come through.  I didn't notice anything at first, thought it was  just some cold wind, but as I went to lay down again my chest began to turn a dark midnight hue.  Therein I knew that the darkness had entered my heart, and I silently wondered what to make of such a strange and terrifying alert.  So I whispered a small prayer ....to...to....the dragon King we all see fly by.  I felt he was the only one who might know whether or not I would die from the cold dark hue in my chest as I began to cry."  
A pair of tears rolled down the girls eyes.
"Then before I knew it there he was, the dragon King flew by!  It startled me to see him stop in the middle of the sky, and watched him move fast towards the place where i cried.  It was all so sudden!  I ran down the stairs, I tripped on a blanket and bruised my chin, but I gathered my wits and grabbed what I could.  The dragon King tore through the roof and he demolished the home!  I was scared, you all saw!"
The tears continued to roll down.
"I ran and ran as he chased me down, and I knew I couldn't win so I turned and made up my mind to fight him."
She placed a hand on the marks left by the Dragon King, and broke out in soft sobs.
"I thought he was trying to kill me!  You all saw the way he merely circled me, but I didn't know!"
"When he held me down with his body I thought surely this was it, I was about to die!"

"But the darkness in my heart is no longer there, I know it because it's warm and not cold like before.  The difference is true!  I would not have lied to you!"

Just then the dragon King began to move.  The writhing had stopped and he began to slowly rise to his feet.  The sight of his size next to the girl was mysteriously epic.  He spit a vile blackness into his hand and it dried up like futile sand.  It fell to the ground and disappeared without a sound.  

Then the dragon King gave the girl a look of some kind.  And flew back up into the sky!  It was a glorious launch with the golden dust rising like a ring where he left and pieces of it formed what look like a crown. 

The dragon King resumed flying here and there over His beloved town. 

--------------------------------

Hello readers, I don't normally write my stories on this blog (or anywhere but my private spaces), but this story I got in my head from today (after a nap! Haha) was too precious to hold back.  Sometimes it can be frustrating when we can't physically see or audibly hear or even sensationally feel the presence of God.  Life can be scary and worry can choke us, and sometimes we don't understand what's really going on.  I know I didn't when God was the dragon King tearing down some of my things.  It wasn't until after I was healed that I realized it was God in an action of love for me all along.  He had heard my prayers and those nights when I cried.  He heard my voice immediately but what I thought was a threat was actually the dragon King coming down.  I fought against God even though I knew that deep down I was wrong. 
That never stops God, because we will always be wrong. :). But I want to encourage whoever reads this that God will pin you down until he gets what's been killing you out.  It may not be pretty and it surely wasn't fun, but the darkness in us is much deeper than we know.  There are layers of pain and corrosive strongholds that are making our hearts cold.  God sent His only Son to die for that which hurts us: sin.  It corrupts every good thing.  He died to take away its power of death, and while we live on this earth and it pretends to be a threat God will do a great thing and chase us down, pin us down, to show us His love.  He wants us to know that look in His eye, the look that He's the King and your His child who doesn't need to fear and worry.   It will hurt because it's a sickness of the heart, but if you surrender and let Him take it out you'll see that look in His eye.  

You'll never forget it when you see Him fly by. 

Jmegrey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment