Monday, September 16, 2013

The Inferior Interior

What's vying for your heart?

At this very moment, what do you want? 
 A cookie?  
maybe a friend?
That new game? 
 A pair of shoes? 
 Brand new car?  
A lover? 
 A specific career?
More money?

       Something is vying for your heart right now, and I just want you to focus in on that thing.  When I say vying for your heart I don't mean a mere temporary desire, but something that is always there gnawing at your mind, and making you believe that if you had this thing or person or attribute, it would be like opening up a can of bliss.  Perhaps for a while it would, but with time it would get moldy, old, smelly, boring.  Ask the person who has what you want if that thing or person is still as shiny as it was before they had it.  For me that would be...well a few things, but I'll name a few, and here's what is being said after much reflection:

1.  If I become a published and famous writer, I will be so happy to do what I love while getting well-paid, and all the recognition and admiration would mean that I was a great writer, which means I'm a great person.  So what's not being said is that I think money, fame, and admiration will make me more of a person because I'll be happy, I'll be comfortable, and/or I'll be liked.  First of all, happiness is not contingent upon any one thing in this life, our happiness fluctuates depending a variety of things from our oscillating emotions to the weather.  So that boots out the notion of "happiness" because it will, if anything, be short-lived, and I'll soon start seeking it out from other things.  Comfort.  Security.  Money, mo money.  Even the world knows that money does more harm than good (ie: Scrooge, Cruella DeVil, and pretty much every bad guy in any movie is after more wealth, and because of their greed they become villains.)  I'm not saying that money itself is bad, but the love of money is the root of all evil.

1 Timothy 6:10

"For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."

       It says that a love of (or a strong desire for) money have caused many to err from their faith (or their trust in God to supply their needs (financially, emotionally, physically) and that by doing so they pierced themselves through with many sorrows, not just one, not just a few, but MANY.  Your hopes of happiness through more money will eventually pierce you like a dagger, because we all know that in the end money cannot buy us happiness.  Real joy comes from a peace in our hearts and our minds, which comes from God.

Philippians 4:6-7

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

     If you're not a naturally generous person, then if you got a lot of money it would more than likely magnify your greed.  Money cannot make you into a different person, but it can magnify the kind of person you already are.  So whatever thing you struggle with will become even more of a struggle if you had more resources to fund it.  Perhaps you should be grateful if at this time your heart needs to be healed before you begin to make more money.

       Well, what if I struggle with poverty and being poor? You might be thinking that, and thus completely bypassing anything I just said above.  And to that I say, if you're on a computer, smart phone or even just the internet you're not poor.  You probably just want bigger and better things as validation for your worth.  To want bigger and better things is not bad, but when you want them for things they cannot provide (validation) then the searing disappointment will rob you of the joy you thought it would bring you.  Not only that, but it will sting even more when you've gotten what you've wanted, but nothing has changed internally.  

Corrie ten boom said it wisely:

"The most miserable person in the world, is not the person who doesn't have what he wants, but the person who has what he wants and has found out that it doesn't make any difference."

That applies to any desire that exceeds our love for Christ whether it's marriage, children, careers, flat abs, or an unending traveling ticket around the world.  (In case you haven't noticed I'm speaking from a personal perspective, but for you it might be something lame like a car or jewelry)

Your heart may think it needs something aside from Jesus to fulfill you, but know that the heart is very potently deceptive.  

Jeremiah 17:9

  " The heart is deceitful above all things
    and beyond cure.
    Who can understand it?"

Trust the Word of God, don't just "follow your heart".  Have higher standards for the way you live; what's higher than God?  You? ha.  ... -_- sadly, this is what I've deluded myself into thinking countless times.

       When my value would be deceptively based on recognition of my achievements, or when that recognition was slow in coming (or realistically not coming at all)  I developed bad habits to have some sort of control over the unmet desire (again, sometimes I did get the admiration or accomplishment I wanted--a job I interviewed for, a guy I had a huge crush on, a physical appearance, and it never made a lasting difference.)  At the end of getting what I wanted, I was still left wanting.  I may start to wonder if perhaps my wants were not big enough, and that's why they didn't provide what I had hoped for-- maybe if I became a millionaire writer, got a Pulitzer Prize, married a hot, rich Christian guy, or whatever else seems most relevant to right now, maybe then I'd be content.  Maybe, but highly unlikely.  The thing I want is something to fill my heart, and nothing of material can even touch my heart, and as for a guy, well, we all know that real marriage takes work, and that's why they call it the "honeymoon" stage, because it ends...before you have to make an effort to sustain the relationship.  Work.  haha.


       Conclusion:  

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."

Proverbs 3:5,6
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
    in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight."

Isaiah 41:10
"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

Matthew 6:25
"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?"

Joy to The Lord,
Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment