Wednesday, October 30, 2013

A Good Tree

this is Katie
       Ever since I've moved to Nashville, I've found that there have been so many little lessons I've learned that have changed me in a big way.  Katie is one of those people that I have met who have really helped me continue walking the road less traveled (a rare attribute among friends).  Hearing me out on the little things, and offering her pearls of insight where I may have been blind-sighted.  I remember being in jr. high and praying to God that he would send me at least one friend whom I could lean on in times of need and struggle, if you know me you know that I went through a horrible experience in the seventh grade.  An experience of rejection, embarrassment, harassment, bullying, and even threatening phone calls from the gangster kids. haha.  The gangster kids who were actually just other korean kids like me, lived in frilly homes and watched Saved by the Bell like me.  It all sounds ridiculous now, but at the time it was all about your reputation, outside of your comfortable home.  School was a world of its own.  Today, those experiences have led me to some of the best people with whom I am daily encouraged by and filled with trust in to protect me.  Not only has Christ answered my prayer, but I have multiple friends who I know I need in order to continue walking on the road toward Heaven.  Their words, their affirmations of love are all guiding lights that help me take each step.  Katie is definitely a fellow light that does not stay hidden under a box, but she shines forth and her light sheds on the path I'm on.

       Every week or so, I text and ask Katie if she wants to get coffee with me.  I plan 7am coffee dates with her at the Starbucks between both our houses.  We do 7am, because Katie has work at 9am and her evenings are spent with nourishing her relationship with her husband and her ministry.  She's a leader at the church we attend, and I first met her when I showed up at one of her home group meetings, which her and her husband hold every other wednesday at their home.  They are amazing.  However, the most incredible part of all of this is the way my relationship with Katie has bloomed.  I never expected to become so close with her, but God knew I needed her.  I guess what I'm trying to say in this post is simply that I am thankful that God knew and blessed me with something I had no idea would be so crucial for me.  The people we surround ourselves with are a huge influence over the people we become through the decisions we make.  You may think that the person you spend so much time with isn't going to affect who you are, especially if that person is a bad influence, or does things you find less than appealing, but sooner or later it'll creep up on you like a dandelion's seed floating up in the air and gently finding a spot on your shoulder.  You don't feel it, you may not even see it, but it's there.  You've got something that wasn't there on you now, and although this metaphor is lame, since one can argue that a mere brush off the shoulder would do the trick, it's as subtle as a dandelion, but as deadly as shrapnel embedded in the flesh.  The point being, it's not obvious, it's gradual and oftentimes unsuspecting.

       However, the same goes for when you surround yourself with people who illuminate the things you strive to work towards.  Things like patience, love, thankfulness, and all those pretty words.  We become susceptible to good things when we surround ourselves with good people, because good trees produce good fruit, and bad trees produce bad fruit.  Katie is a good tree, and her friendship has produced such a beautiful fruit in my life.  I need more good trees in my life, trees that let the light shine on me, provide shade when I am weary and good fruit for when I am hungry.  So how do you find good trees in life?  The answer is simple.  Become sought after.  Become a good tree, hang out with the good trees long enough for you to become one.  Sometimes it will take a lot of effort on your part to stay and spend time with someone who produces good fruit, or maybe those good trees will just come to you out of their goodness, either way, find a good tree and plant yourself near them until you see the fruit of your own tree begin bearing, then the good trees start flocking to you.

       Okay, I have to add and clarify that Jesus is the goodest tree of them all (yes, goodest- haha) and He is who we attain to be like.  Our fruit represents His glory, and we flourish when we give Him everything we are with what we produce.

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment