Monday, May 4, 2015

Fighting fear

“What you live is what you believe…
Everything else is just talk.”
-Laurie Polich

I live a very routine kind of life.  I wake up around 8am every morning, I brush my teeth, wash my face, use the bathroom, and fix myself a cup of coffee.  All the while there’s a fire inside of my soul being watered down by droughts of doubt, rains of trouble, clouds of oncoming hurt, and overall surrounded by walls of unawareness-desensitizing my view of what’s going on.  

I sometimes feel as though I’m being led down a majestic hallway (being told that it gets better if I keep going), and every now and then I’ll get a peek at the corridors I’m being shoved past, and something inside of me wants to stop and explore where they lead to.  Something inside of me wants to know.  I want to know.  I want to know the truth.  Where am I going?

I think the desire to know is something deep down inside of everyone, but the ability or the opportunity to know takes too great a risk or seems hopelessly bad for us (especially when what is shoving us down the hall is telling us we can't stop, and if we do we risk what's at the end of these majestic halls...thinking it's really going to be good...but it's such a gamble!)  To know could mean to reveal something as good to be bad, or to reveal something as bad to be good.

I just want to know the truth, because the truth …the truth is good, and as much as I may enjoy some of the lies that have protected me in some form from the big bad truth, lies always tend to erode away at our souls.  Eventually your feet will tire of passing the corridors, because it will look endless.  You start questioning things.  You cannot hide from the truth forever, because the truth never changes.  It is THE truth, not A truth.  We can work our way towards truths in our lives, one truth leads to another lie that we expose, and then that truth leads us to another lie, and so on, but eventually we will have to face the ultimate and final truth: God.  Is God at the end of this majestic hall we are being pushed down by something?  Is God a gamble?  Or could we stop and explore the corridors and know something more about the truth, about Him?

All those little truths, the deeper you go the more they hurt to expose them.  And I mean they hurt like the way someone crushes your fingers in a door hinge, or how a deep paper cut feels.  The levels of pain range, but they hurt for real.  At first it might be an obvious truth that you need to face like how your addiction to that one thing is really bad.  You have to face it, and it’s hard, but you kind of always knew it was bad.  It’s a truth that you face in order to face the deeper truth that you wanted to keep it covered because you were afraid of the way uncovering it would turn out.  Then when you face that uncovered truth, the truth that perhaps you were weak without it, that it somehow gave you fortitude to face other stresses in life, you find yourself without that particular shield in hand, still in a battle against your fears and unknowns.  Then that truth takes you further into another truth: being that you have no shield in hand, and you are left a little more vulnerable to others.  (now, there could be a number of weapons we pry from our hands—not just addictions, but our anger or our indifference, work-ethic, schedules, fashion, attention from others, busyness, etc.—all of these are false weapons we need to drop in the face of a tumultuous war.)  

The hardest part is that the more we drop our weapons and shields the more we see the devastation and the bombs being dropped around us.  We come out of hiding and we see the truth more and more, there’s a war going on and it doesn’t look hopeful from our position.  But in order to put on the armor of God we need to take ours off.

The other day I was taking the trash out and tripped on something that took a nice big chunk out of my Achilles heel.  I stammered back into the kitchen to clean it, and as I stood with the water faucet running over a paper towel, my head got really light.  I felt lightheaded in a bad way, in a heavy way.  My head was leaving but in its place something heavy was happening.  I knew something was wrong, but the fear of the truth made me fight so hard to believe otherwise.  I wanted to be okay, because the truth that I was not okay was too scary.  I started searching for a way to survive, my mind works well when I’m arguing, haha.  So I was arguing my way against the way my body was not responding, thinking: “you’re fine, this is all in your head (literally), and you can beat this.  You can beat this because you can!  You’re able to fight this because you can!  Stay alert!  Stay ready!”  It was overwhelmingly strong and I would fight it by sitting down.  So I made my way to the nearest sofa, and by that time my hearing was a heavy muffle, my vision became greyscale, and I was now fighting just to breathe.  In that moment of what felt like 15 minutes (more like 15 seconds in real time), I was stripped of my last dignity: me.  I had nothing left, this was it, and I was forced to face the truth in my last moments.  I remember my thoughts directed somewhere, maybe to God, maybe just to my defeated self, but I was facing the reality of the situation.  I faced the fact that I was slipping, that I could possibly die right then and there, and no one would know until they found my body.  More than that, I faced the reality of the way I have lived my life, it wasn’t that I started thinking of all my accomplishments or even the people who loved me, but it was this fear and sadness.  Fear that I had no clue what death would really like…to move on to a world without a body was completely unknowable, I had no way of preparing myself in the strain of the oncoming moment.  All I knew was that it felt so strange to no longer have command over my body, the way I saw or raised my feet or opened my eyes—all of that was gone.  I was just me, somewhere deeper down inside of the body that was crumpling without my consent.  I felt sadness because I saw my cheap decisions.  I make so many cheap decisions.  Quick-fix-it, microwave decisions.   The lies I tell myself to keep from facing the real hard truth.  The stubborn things I do out of convenience.  It all looked so cheap in that moment, because here I was facing the actual reality of possibly dying, and I wasn’t ready, I was so unprepared.  So I made some cliché promises to God, things like “I’ll stop doing all the bad things I do that I am aware of!”  Really what I was saying was that I would stop making cheap decisions.  I was telling God that I would face the truth.  I was desperate, and desperate people say very desperate things.

I thought I passed out on the floor, but thinking about now, I think my body sort of unhitched itself from my command and I was consciously quiet as I lay on the cold marble floor of my kitchen.  I had nothing left to think about or say. All I could do at that point was wait.  I remember my eyes closing for what seemed like 5 seconds, and then I was back.  I was back to my usual self…meaning I had control over this body of mine.  I still lay there a little dumbfounded, but it wasn’t long before relief took over my entire self. 

I didn’t die.

It’s not unlike- letting the weapons we hold against the truth about the war going on in our lives- go.  I was facing the reality of the absolutely ZERO control I had, and the oncoming death before me.  It was frightening.  But it was the most truthful moment, more true than the moments we have with the ability to raise our feet off the ground or see something in front of us.  The fact that we have control over our bodies in some way is quite deceiving, because we all know that at death these bodies will no longer be anything.  Yet we bank so much on them…what they do, what they look like, where they go, etc.  We see them as ours rather than as vessels.  They are bodies but they have a purpose too, and the truth I faced was that they actually have a really grand purpose.  My body was being slain by the cheap decisions I made, and the truth was that as I hid one truth I also hid my body’s purpose.  Hiding my body’s purpose also hid part of my courage.  I mean it all gets affected.  The more we cloak ourselves in lies, the more we veil our faces from the ugly truth, the more we distance ourselves from all that God is for us and has for us.  The farther away we are from God the closer we are to isolation.  We just let ourselves be maddeningly led down a seemingly hopeful hallway, but really we don't know much of what's really at the end.  And you don't know until you're near the end: death.  

God is not about endorsing your lies, He’s about you getting closer to the truth, to Himself.  To the reality of what’s really going on, and let me tell you, it’s the same for everyone.  We are all closing our eyes to the devastation before us because it’s painful to see, it’s heavy, and on top of all that we have no control over what we see, feel, or do.  All we have is the truth:  that we are so vulnerable and naked in the midst of bombs dropping, people killing each other and death crouching around every corner.  Doesn’t that sound terrible?  Because it is.  Once we face the truth with open eyes and take it all in with our frailty in hypersensitive mode, then maybe we will actually trust in God with all our hearts, minds and strength.  Because at this point, it’s exposed for what that is: nothing.  It’s all God.  He sees us trying to dodge bombs with blindfolds on, and we reject His voice to take off the false protections, and even then...even when we reject Him,  He takes the hit for each of us.  He is bombed and shot at, knifed, and hit where we were supposed to be.  

That is the gospel.  

That while we were still sinners Christ died for us the death we were on the way to getting.  This is the truth of everyone’s life:  we are in a battle and Christ won it for us.  So it’s okay to see how naked and vulnerable we are.  We are free to seek out the truth in our lives.  To let go of the fears that blindfold us or the anger that seems to threaten our sense of self.  My and your sense of self is the same: we are all riding into battle as naked children piggybacking on Jesus.

If this is something you can't believe at all or it just sounds completely ridiculous then that's that.  The bible doesn't promise that everyone will be saved, but if you feel the desire or the curiosity-even if just as an ember- fan that baby into flame!

It’s messy.  The part about facing the truth is messy because there are so many lies.  Things hurt us, people hurt us, we hurt ourselves, and in the process we put our feelings as truth, rather than as directors.  Feelings direct us to the next lie.  They do not define the lie, but they DIRECT us to the truth if we use them to search the root projecting them.  God created us to feel for a reason.

We can do this because of the gospel.  It is finished and our freedom is in knowing the truth by ridding ourselves of the lies.  It is for freedom that we have courage to face the truth.  

We mess up because when we expose one lie, the next lie is there already!  The battle is fierce, but underneath it all is the courage and the grace and the power we are given through the finished work of Jesus…to face it, to mess up, and to cry like a child on the back of Jesus.

And we band together in this process with everyone else…because Jesus’s back is actually a lot bigger than what we think – metaphorically.  We are more like His entire body.  He is the Head and we are all together His body, and the more we acknowledge one another, the more we acknowledge Him.  We see the value in one another.  The need for the other.  We love one another.\
Perhaps we begin this process:

Think first,
Talk less,
Listen more.
(repeat)


“So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us.  God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in himBy this is love perfected with us, so that we may have confidence for the day of judgment, because as He is so also are we in this worldThere is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear.  For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.  WE love because he first loved us.” – 1 John 4:16-19

Do you still feel fear?  Let the Word of Truth show you that you are thinking of punishment...in some deeper root your fear has to do with punishment.  You are loved.  Fight for perfect love, fight against the fear, and open your eyes to the truth.


All I can do is open my eyes to love more,
-Jmegrey

No comments:

Post a Comment