Thursday, May 22, 2014

Sitting in joy

I didn't read the Word of God, which is Jeaus in the breath, all this week.  It was like having a guest in my house who I kept passing by, ignoring, and just nodding politely as I went about eating my meals, going on Instagram, and cleaning here and there.  How would I feel if I was invited over to a friend's house only to be completely neglected?  I would be pretty sad and eager to speak. 

I noticed that when I was most confused and feeling dejected I was not doing what I needed to do.  I became like Martha, madly trying to "get things done" rather than just sit at the feet of Jesus (His Word/the bible) and listen.  

"Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet and listened to his teaching. But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.” But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.” (Luke 10:38-42 ESV)

In a world where independence and effort rule our outcomes in surviving, it is a difficult shift when we lay down our busyness just to listen to God (especially when things look like they need to get done).  Usually, if you're like me, this only happens after you realize how overwhelming and aggravating control becomes, or the reality of the lack of it.  Perhaps it is because we have those moments of serenity and smooth sailing, we made good money, we met a great person and fell in love, we got a good job, etc, but then what?  Can we continue self stimulating our elatation?  No, because most of our physiology is out of our hands, we have no control over the capillaries or the nerves or even our very breath (think when you're sleeping).  So when we sit at the feet of Jesus, whether we are tired or full of satisfaction from a good thing, we can surpass feelings that will fade and hold on to the joy that He is the reason for why we can rejoice forever!  The good things, they're great, but Gods good promise is forever!  

So when things get out of control, or when things are very much in good order, sit at the feet of Jesus and listen to Him.  Rejoice always, again I'll say rejoice! 

J

No comments:

Post a Comment