Sunday, November 30, 2014

Adventuretime

This morning, after a whirlwind weekend of social events one after the other, all I wanted to do was stop.  I don't like being so busy that I can't take a moment to soak in the people and places I've seen and talked with.  (That and I usually don't like anticipating busyness) I felt tired and a bit heady...like I couldn't figure out what I wanted, and maybe that was a good thing.  If I didn't know then I might do what I thought was best, rather than having a desire and doing what I wanted to get it.  (That will only make sense if you've read my previous posts and know that I tend to be quite relentlessly selfish by nature). Anyway, it's been a really heartfelt thanksgiving because I truly went to each dinner with the sincere sense that I missed the people I spoke with.  More than a social thing it was a people thing, lots of laughing, deep conversations, delicious turkey, and of course good photos for my insta-editing hobby ;)

Now I'm here, and asking God: what's going on in my life now and with/during this past weekend with You?  

There were several moments I had dialogued with God at the different places I went to, and sometimes I realized afterward that there were moments (hours long) that I didn't think about or talk to Him at all.  For me, that's unpleasant because all the things I enjoy are much more enjoyable when they are rich in meaning and part of a piece of God's promises happening in my life.  Being aware of His goodness is like receiving letters from friends in faraway places. 

So I asked the Lord, how are we?  Cuz it's been pretty chill and cozy lately...I feel like I'm in the sweatpants and movie nights at home stage with God--so comfortable and free to be at ease.  It's sweet.  Yet when I asked the Lord this morning where we were in our relationship I felt Him say that it's been the sweatpants and movie nights thing, but "how about we go on an adventure?"  I was a little taken aback, I mean, that sounds really great to me, but I wasn't sure what He meant.  It didn't feel like "lets go on a trial or a lesson or a period of suffering in order to mature" but it literally was an adventure...like hiking in Peru or crashing someone's festive wedding reception.  It was all about having thrills and a good time. 

Three things stood out to me about the adventure God wanted to take me on.
1.  A risk or risks would be taken
2.  Good company
3.  And a surprise 

That was pretty much it.  I heard it, I agreed and the rest, as usual, is God's doing and my living it.  

A risk sounds a bit scary, but if it didn't involve a risk it wouldn't quite be an adventure.  

We shall see where God takes me.  :) 

I am absolutely loving the weather.  This is adventure inducing weather indeed! 

Oh and I'm almost done with my first semester at theology school.  I have a few projects and papers to finish this week, then final exams, but I need to take it one day at a time.  Sipping Joe and writing in between.

Perhaps God is preparing tons of adventures and looking for people to participate in them?  If so, just remember the three things: 
1.  Risk
2.  Good company
3.  Surprise

Maybe it's happening right now,
Jmegrey



No comments:

Post a Comment