Monday, February 29, 2016

He knows when I sit down

“Lord, You have searched me 
and known me. 
You know when I sit down 
and when I stand up; 
You understand my thoughts from far away. 
You observe my travels and my rest; 
You are aware of all my ways. 
Before a word is on my tongue, 
You know all about it, Lord.

See if there is any offensive way in me; 
lead me in the everlasting way.”
Psalms 139:1-4, 24

I'm sitting in my armchair, just sitting down and trying to gather my thoughts away from my body that just wants to turn "busy."  I'm sitting.

It's funny how simple David puts it:  "You know when I sit down."

God knows that I'm sitting in my chair.  So what does that mean?  Why is David so enamored and awed by this simple piece of truth that God knows when He sits down or stands up?  How many of my friends know that I'm sitting down now?  Perhaps the ones that read this blog, but let's say I didn't write it or post it...would anyone know when I was sitting at home in my chair by myself?  Clearly the answer is no.  But God knows.  He knows when I sit down.  This implies that He sees me.  

I think David was able to seek after God's heart because of this profound belief that God knew when he sat down or stood up.  It was the mundane moments that opened his heart to the true God.  The God that is ever-present and seeing you when you least expect that He is around.  We all want God to appear when things are going badly, but David knew that God was there when things were just him sitting or standing up.  The face of God and His loving eyes were always upon David, and that made David seek God to see Him back and to love Him back.  Being seen means we no longer live for ourselves.  

When I'm with a friend I'm always aware that whatever I do or say will be heard by my friend.  Therefore I hardly ever do anything or say anything that would directly cause hurt because I'm aware that my friend is there.  I do, however, say what I would want my friend to hear.  

David saw God as a friend who was always there, and that made his words and actions aware as well.  Even when he slept with Bathsheeba and killed her husband by placing him at the front of the war, David knew God was there and that's why it tore him up inside.  David knew that he had hurt God with his actions, because God was there when he did it.  

“Lord, You have searched me and known me. You know when I sit down and when I stand up; You understand my thoughts from far away. You observe my travels and my rest; You are aware of all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue, You know all about it, Lord.

See if there is any offensive way in me; lead me in the everlasting way.”
Psalms 139:1-4, 24

I'm sitting down.  And you might be sitting too (if you're reading this) or you may be standing up.  God sees us when we sit and when we stand.  He has searched us and known us meaning He has searched the complex thoughts in our minds down to its root in our hearts.  What He sees is far more than just us sitting or standing.  He sees the connection our actions make to our hearts because He has searched and known us.  

God sees me now--In my chair, partly asleep, partly in pain from cramps, partly annoyed at the blemishes on my face, partly hungry, partly stressed over my studies, partly curious, partly confused, partly anxious, partly overwhelmed, and partly aware of Him seeing me.  
My prayer is for Him who knows me and has searched me to lead me in the way to everlasting life. To lead me into choices that will bring me more life than stress.  To lead me to more thoughts that will bring me more peace than anxiety.  To lead me to people who will build me up rather than tear me down.  To lead me to opportunities for growing rather than staying stuck.  To lead me in every moment whether I am sitting or standing or speaking.  

Before a word is on my tongue, You know all about it, because You have searched me and known me.  
You know. You see. 

So please lead me. 

Jmegrey 

No comments:

Post a Comment