Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Adventures of a Weakling!

I love this verse.  I love that in my weakness God's power is made perfect.  Why?  I mean, I am quite obsessed and intoxicated by this truth, because I am so weak!  I am so unbelievably weak!  I don't even know how to put into words just how weak I am, but the sheer fact that Christ said His power is made perfect in weakness makes this verse intoxicating.  That's how weak I am.  Haha.  

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
-2 Corinthians 12:9

As I go about my day I notice all the little microscopic areas of my life that I forget about God, and in those moments I am taking life as a solo act, an individual...therefore I only have my resources to pull from, which, when bad things happen, are mostly anger, selfishness, greed, jealousy, fear, and the like; all SIN.  

It is in those moments that I realize I am forgetting that the Holy Spirit dwells in me;  that He was and is right there in the space I stand in as I was doling out anger or frustration.  I forget in either of two ways: intentionally or unintentionally.

Regardless He is there--not just with me, but inside of me as my heart begins beating with whatever intentions and motives that often undermine God's authority and love for me.

When I am reminded by the Holy Spirit that He is there, I am simultaneously reminded of His power and His perfection for this very situation.  I am reminded that I am free to relax and let God's power perfect me.  I am free to continue forward in His righteousness through a sheer act of faith, unable to see, yet believing that God is God even (and especially) in this situation.  And that one step of obedience through faith....that-- that step moves mountains.  

For me, personally, as I get to know God more and become more confident in who He is, through obedience, I have noticed a very sensitive area for me--  It is the fear of disappointing others.  And it also has to do with understanding just how weak I am.  The more I see my glorious weakness as Christ's perfection, the more I also see the very high possibility for disappointing others in the cases that I forget God is there-- which is pretty often.

However, that's another reason I love this verse!  I know that I become  blunderingly weak in moments where I see myself as a disappointment to others or myself.  I mean, weak as a 3 year old arm wrestling with an NFL linebacker.  Weak as putty.  And recognizing that helps me stay more aware that it is simultaneously in those moments that God's power is amplified should I choose to relax in those moments, and let Him perfect His power.  That's my biggest stage for Him at the moment.  When I become fearful of disappointing others or myself then I know it's showtime, the grand entrance, the climax, the miraculous, the adventure in believing in God!

He's with me now,

Jmegrey

PS: it usually looks like a big acquisition  for a little tiny person.  



(For lack of a photographer/drawer, here's my "weak" rendition.)


(By Sharon Im- lasso on moon) 

Thanks! 

No comments:

Post a Comment